When you have a medical emergency every minute counts. The highly qualified team of nursing and ED providers at Buchanan County Health Center Emergency Department recognizes that and are specially trained to respond rapidly, appropriately and efficiently to any health care emergency. Our Emergency Department is open 24/7, with an average wait time of less than 5 minutes. The Emergency Department at BCHC is staffed by providers from East Central Iowa Acute Care – the same faces you’ll see at St. Lukes Emergency Department – along with physicians from BCHC.
Delivery of emergency services is a focused practice of skills and services that come together to provide you and your loved ones with efficient, caring, and competent medical care. We offer a full array of digital imaging services and complete in-house laboratory services to aid our team in the diagnosis and treatment of your healthcare emergency.
About Our Emergency Department:
- Level IV Trauma Center designated by the State of Iowa
- Emergency Department providers hold special training in advanced trauma life support, advanced cardiac life support, and basic life support.
- Nursing staff holds special training in advanced cardiac life support, pediatric advanced life support, and trauma nurse core curriculum
- Air ambulance and ground ambulances are available 24 hours a day:
- UnityPoint Health St. Luke’s Lifeguard
- University of Iowa AirCare
- AMR Ambulance Services
- Full array of expanded digital imaging services
- Complete in-house laboratory services
- Short wait times
- If needed, transfer to a larger facility is available via AMR Ambulance Services or through the emergency helicopter service
- Specialty-trained first responders, doctors, nurses and trauma experts
- East Central Iowa Acute Care Providers
- Eight-bed emergency department
- Private general treatment rooms
- Trauma care room
- Procedure room