BCHC Auxiliary Awards $7,000 in Scholarships
On June 7th, the Buchanan County Health Center Auxiliary held their Annual Scholarship Dinner at the First Presbyterian Church in Independence. Each year, the BCHC Auxiliary awards scholarships in the amount of $1,000 to graduating seniors from East Buchanan, Independence, and Jesup School Districts, and also awards scholarships to nontraditional students entering into or continuing their education in a human health care related field. This year, seven $1,000 scholarships were awarded with the funding help of Auxiliary fundraisers, annual dues, and hospital gift shop sales. The following individuals were awarded a $1,000 scholarship for entering into or continuing their education in a human healthcare related field:
- Alison Kress – Alison is a 2018 graduate of the East Buchanan Community School District. Alison is the daughter of Jason and Vicki Kress. Alison will attend Coe College in the fall, where she will study nursing with plans to specialize in oncology.
- Rachel DeBoer – Rachel is a 2018 graduate of the Independence Community School District. Rachel is the daughter of Greg and Gina DeBoer. Rachel will attend Grandview University this fall, where she will begin her studies in pre-med with a major in biology and minors in Spanish and psychology.
- Carlie Pint – Carlie is a 2018 graduate of the Jesup Community School District. Carlie is the daughter of Todd and Shelli Pint. Carlie will attend Hawkeye Community College in the fall, where she will study nursing with plans to specialize in pediatrics.
- Katie Weigel – Katie resides in Winthrop with her husband Mark and their children. Katie is employed at BCHC as an RN in the Emergency Department. Katie is currently enrolled in the Family Nurse Practitioners Master’s Program and Charberlain University.
- Dawn Kleve – Dawn resides in Winthrop with her husband Corey and their children. Dawn is employed at BCHC as an RN at the Wound Center. Dawn is currently enrolled in the Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner Master’s Program and Clarkson College.
- Lizzy O’ Loughlin – Lizzy is a past graduate of the Independence Community School District. Lizzy is a current student at the University of Northern Iowa, where she is enrolled in the Speech-Language Pathology Master’s Program. Lizzy plans to work in a medical setting with children and adults who are learning the English language.
- Allison Flaucher – Allison is a past graduate of the Jesup Community School District. Allison is enrolled at Allen College School of Nursing. Allison plans to complete her Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and continue her education with plans to obtain a master’s degree as a Family Nurse Practitioner.
Pictured: (L-R) Carlie Pint, Allison Flaucher, Lizzy O’Loughlin, Rachel DeBoer, Dawn Kleve, & Alison Kress (Not pictured: Katie Weigel)