Buchanan County Health Center Auxiliary Awards $6,000 in Scholarships to Local Students
Each year, the Buchanan County Health Center Auxiliary awards scholarships in the amount of $1,000 to graduating seniors of East Buchanan, Independence, and Jesup High Schools through local chapters of Dollars for Scholars, along with nontraditional students and those continuing their education in a human health care related field, residing in Buchanan County.
On June 4th, the BCHC Auxiliary held a scholarship dinner in honor of this year’s scholarship recipients. Six $1,000 scholarships were awarded with the funding help of Auxiliary fundraisers, gift shop sales, and the kind memoriam gifted by the family and friends of the late Helen Herrick, head shift nurse at BCHC from 1977-1991, long-time member of the Buchanan County Board of Health, and an advocate of continuing education.
The following individuals were awarded a $1,000 scholarship for entering or continuing their education in a human healthcare related field:
- Alyssa Riniker – Alyssa is a 2015 graduate of East Buchanan HS. Her parents are Jeanette and Bruce Riniker. Through high school Alyssa was involved in athletics, FFA, National Honor Society, and student council. Alyssa will attend Luther College in the fall to study pharmacy.
- Monica Crawford – Monica is a 2015 graduate of Independence High School. Her parents are Sarah and Larry Crawford. Monica was involved in athletics, choir, National Honor Society and student council. Monica will attend Wartburg College in the fall to study pre-med, specifically biology.
- Hannah Youngblut – Hannah is a 2015 graduate of Jesup High School. Her parents are Lisa and Ed Youngblut. Hannah was involved in athletics and fine arts. Hannah will attend Hawkeye Community College in the fall and plans to transfer to Allen for nursing.
- Amy Avery – Amy is the mother of three children and the daughter of Carol and Dave Iverson. Amy currently works at BCHC as a LPN and has returned to college. She has been accepted into the RN program at Hawkeye Community College
- Elizabeth O’Loughlin – Elizabeth is a graduate of Independence High School and is currently a student at the University of Iowa. Elizabeth’s parents are Trish and Chris O’Loughlin. Elizabeth plans on continuing her education after graduation in speech pathology.
- Ben Bagge – Ben is a graduate of Independence High School and a 2015 graduate of the University of Northern Iowa. His parents are Michelle and John Bagge. Ben will attend Clarke College this fall to earn a doctorate in physical therapy.
For more information about the Buchanan County Health Center Auxiliary, visit www.bchealth.org.
(L-R) Alyssa Riniker, Hannah Youngblut, Amy Avery, Ben Bagge, Elizabeth O’Loughlin
(Not pictured: Monica Crawford)